Thursday 5 January 2012

Town Tree Collecting

 
Today I am making the most of a bad situation; My bike's fan belt broke yesterday and now my bike is being fixed by my neighbour, Carl.  This meant that I had to buss-it into Tavistock today, to shop and do other important things.
Unfortunately public transport in the UK is among some of the most dire in Europe.  Today I had to wait six hours, for the bus back home, but I put this time to good use and collected some Trees.

Tavistock sits in a deep valley, coming off the moors and, like this area show; is full of many little undevelopable corners, where nature has taken over.

Of course; I cannot collect nearly as many trees as I could have done, with the bike, but still enough to really impact the places where I will plant them.

Invasive Weeds
One problem with these urban sites is the sheer quantity of invasive weeds, which have escaped originally from irresponsible people's gardens.  Here this mainly consists of Rhododendron, Cherry-Laurel, Sycamore and Cotoneaster.
Where possible; I make it my policy to pull these up.  I am always extremely vigilant not to collect and plant any and always look through what I have collected before planting them out, especially if I will be planting them at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment