Thursday 15 December 2011

Under Cover Tree Collector

Discretion and need to know basis
Whilst I tend not to make too much of a secret about what I do; I do when I'm doing it.  It is always better to be safe than sorry & having someone moaning at me about what I am doing, when I'm busy; is far from helpful.



Today I am collecting mostly Oak, Birch and Hazel, from one of my favourite sites near Okehampton.  Also diversity enhancing things like Dog roses, Spindle and Honeysuckle, enriching my woods with as many native plants, that will tolerate the harsh condition up on Dartmoor.


Local as Possible
In every valley or area; each species varies slightly.  I get over 95% of my trees from less than 25 miles from where they are to be planted.  I want a good mixture of healthy local stock, which is attuned to the wildlife in this area.

It concerns me, that garden centres sell wild trees grown on mass, from just a few small areas, to stock the whole country with new woodland.  People really don't seem to consider the effects of things like this, but it seems to me that Homogenisation is bad and leads to a lack of diversity and a weakening of genetic and local variation.

Digging up a Tree Demonstration
I'll end this post, with a short demonstration of the best way to dig up a young tree:
  1. Cut the spade straight down and not at an angle. We don't want to be severing tap roots or anything.
  2. Do this right around the tree, in a full circle.
  3. Gently lift up the Tree, with root ball.
  4. Gently shake off the soil.
  5. Place the Trees in a plastic bag, with wet leaves, to stop the roots from drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment