Monday 6 February 2012

Last Dart Valley Tree Collection




One last Load
Above, my motorbike sits loaded up with trees from the Dart valley, for one last time.  Very soon I will be living and guerrilla gardening in a new place and I will get a highly more practical van.
I should really be packing, but I just had to get a few crucial little bits planted, up on Dartmoor.

the focus today was really on the Oaks.  I needed stocky little trees, about 2/3 foot (just under 1 metre) to be able to compete with thick brambly based undergrowth.  I got some other trees as well, but mostly Oaks.

Oak trees do not like to have their long tap roots severed, so great care must be taken to insure to cut a ring around each one, with the spade and to cut straight down and not under the tree.

Oaks also dry out quickly when unearthed, so I always transfer them immediately to a plastic sack, which contains some damp leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment